Monday, October 9, 2006

Sticky Posts (no longer sticky, this one)

Wouldn't it be great to have a real sticky post at the top of your page? Well, you are reading a sticky post right now.

I already developed a sticky message-board at the top of my Blog, but that is not really a post, and you can't leave comments on it.

So right now I am "burning the night-oil" on sticky posts for Blogger Beta. I am onto some interesting javascript, but a lot of work has still to be done.

But this morning, wide awake after a good night's rest, a tremendously simple solution revealed itself before my inner eye. So... this is my Mark I Sticky Post.

Please let me know how you feel about Sticky Posts. Do you need them? Should we develop a more elegant hack?

As I said before, the solution I used here is tremendously simple and doesn't require any hacking. When you have written your post, click Post Options and set the date of the post anywhere in the future. As you can see, I set the date of this sticky post at December 31 in the year 9999 (but it was posted on October 7, 2006).


And if you don't need the post to be sticky an longer, set the date to somewhere in the recent past.

What we should do to make this real good is adding some code to the template that checks whether the date-header is in the future or not. If so, it should not be displayed. Maybe one of you guys has some spare time the next few days to give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment